The socio-economic development situation of Tien Giang province in August of 2020
Stepping up in August, the Covid-19 epidemic continued to have complicated variations, especially the outbreak in Da Nang city, Quang Nam and Hai Duong provinces, which has somewhat caused negative impacts on provinces and cities in the country because of applying urgent solutions of social distance and minimizing scale of several socio-economic activities as planned. However, for Tien Giang, as always being ready to fight coronavirus pandemic and accompanying enterprises to restore their production and business activities under the new normal condition with aim to carry out "dual targets" following the Prime Minister's direction, as a result, the socio-economic situation of the province in August of 2020 continues to grow steadily and achieve positive changes over the same period last year. The specific results of several key sectors were as follows:
- Agriculture and fisheries: the food yield of the month reached about 8,181 tons, hoarding around 529 thousand tons in 8 months, down 46.6% over the same period. By the time of August 1st, 2020, the total herd of cattle and poultry of the province is as follows: 118 thousand cows, decreasing by 2%; 247.3 thousand pigs, declining by 42%; 16.7 million poultry, up 12.7% over the same period. The total yield of aquatic products of the month reached 28.7 thousand tons, hoarding about 226.5 thousand tons in 8 months, up 0.7% over the same period.
At the meeting (Photo: Collectibles)
- Building rural areas with new development model: It is expected to have more 03 communes completing their course of building new rural area in August, hoarding 13 communes reaching the criteria as required until the end of August of 2020. As a result, the total number of communes reaching the criteria as required is 104/143 communes until now, occupying 72.7% of the total number of communes in the whole province. Privately, the Go Cong town has just completed its mission of building new rural area and approved by the Prime Minister at the decision No. 1214/QD-TTg on 11/8/2020; and Go Cong Dong district also reached the criteria of new rural area as the whole district according to Decision No. 1215/QD-TTg dated 11/8/2020 of the Prime minister.
- Industry: The index of industrial production in August of 2020 increased by 0.9% over the previous month due to the good development of some main industries as leather footwear, metals, machinery and equipment...; and being accumulated in the first 8 months of the year, the industrial production index increased by 0.8% over the same period. The industrial production value in August of 2020 reached around 7,717 billion VND (~ 335.5 million USD), hoarding 59,096 billion VND (~ 2.57 billion USD) in 8 months, attaining 61.8% of the year plan and increasing by 2.4% over the same period.
The provincial industrial parks, clusters (IPs, ICs) continue to run steadily. Typically, the Long Jiang Industrial Park continues to complete its construction of technical infrastructure. Privately, in terms of the Soai Rap Petroleum Services Park, being together with making report on some works to the central agencies to get their comments on, the Provincial People's Committee has just ratified the cost estimate for setting up the plan of detailed construction with the ratio of 1/2,000 and doing relevant procedures to choose the right consultancy unit to make the plan of 1/2,000 by regulations. Due to the influence of the Covid-19 epidemic, the situation of production and business of enterprises in IPs, ICs is still facing hardship and has not reached their year plan as expected; some businesses have minimized their scale of production, cut down jobs or suspended the production. In terms of ICs, the investors continue to carry out the land procedures for implementing projects, which has got the investment approval by higher level such as Gia Thuan IC 2, My Phuoc Tay IC, Thanh Tan IC, An Thanh 2 IC; Particularly, the investor of Gia Thuan 1 IC has continued to improve its infrastructure facilities and negotiate with secondary investors on the lease of land at the same time.
- Trade & tourism: Total retail sales of consumer goods and services in the month reached 5,632 billion dongs (~ 244.86 million USD), increasing by 5.4% compared to the previous month and 8.6% over the same period last year. The 8-month accumulation was 39,886 billion dongs (~ 1.73 billion USD), attaining 58.7% of the year plan and decreasing by 1.4% compared to the same period last year. The tourist number of the month reached about 46.7 thousand arrivals, decreasing by 30% compared to the previous month and 71.2% over the same period. Of which, the number of international tourists was 100 arrivals, decreasing by 99.8% over the same period. The 8-month accumulation was 559.5 thousand arrivals, attaining 25.4% of the year plan, decreasing 58.2% over the same period. Of which, there were 95.7 thousand international tourists, attaining 10.6% of the year plan and decreasing by 77.6% over the same period last year. Revenues from tourism services of all kinds in 8 months reached 7,510 billion dongs
(~ 326.5 million USD), decreasing by 11.5% compared to the same period last year.
- Export-import: Commodity export turnover in the month reached 296 million USD, hoarding 1.93 billion USD in 8 months, attaining 56.8% of the year plan, decreasing by 4.9% compared to the same period. The import turnover of the month was 113 million USD, hoarding 954 million USD in 8 months, attaining 47.7% of the year plan, decreasing by 16.4% over the same period last year.
- Budget revenue and expenditure: State budget revenue in the month reached about 955 billion dongs (~ 41.52 million USD), hoarding 7,053 billion dongs (~ 306.65 million USD) in 8 months, attaining 63.4% of the year estimate and decreasing by 5% over the same period last year. Total state budget expenditure in the month was 1,281 billion dongs (~ 55.69 million USD), hoarding 12,098 billion dongs (~ 526 million USD) in 8 months and attaining 65.5% of the year estimate. Of which, the expense for development investment was 3,521 billion dongs (~ 153 million USD), attaining 78.2% of the year estimate and increasing by 64.5% over the same period last year.
- Business development: By the end of August it was estimated to have more 70 newly-established businesses with their registration capital of 210 billion VND (~ 9.13 million USD); hoarding 490 newly-established entities in 8 months, attaining 75.4% of the year plan and increasing by 18.4% over the same period last year; moving up to 6,020 entities in operation in the whole province by the end of August of 2020.
- Investment attraction: In August of 2020 it attracted 04 projects with the registered capital of 396 billion dongs. Of which, there were 02 domestic projects with the registered capital of 376 billion dongs and 02 FDI projects with the registered capital of 20 billion dongs. Until August of 2020 it attracted 18 domestic projects as accumulated with the registered capital of 7,148 billion dongs (~ 310.78 million USD) and 10 FDI projects with the registered capital of 2,748 billion dongs (~ 119.47 million USD). Counting in two sectors, in 8 months it attracted 28 projects with the registered capital of 9,896 billion dongs (~ 430.26 million USD), increased by 15 projects and decreasing by 6.2% of the amount of the registered investment capital over the same period.
- Culture and social affairs: Stepping up in August of 2020, the Covid-19 epidemic has continued to have complicated variations inside and outsdie the country as mentioned above. Therefore, the sectors of education, health care, culture - sports, entertainment, employment and job occupation... are keeping to perform their work as planned in the context of continuing to fight the coronavirus pandemic arising inside and transmitted from outside into the country. The training and education sector finished all the tasks of the academic year of 2019-2020 and well completed organization of the National High school graduation exams and focusing on opening the new school year of 2020-2021.
The health sector continues to focus on overall and appropriate measures to prevent the inside disease outbreak and outside pandemic to break into the country. Collaborating with other relevant departments and branches it continues to monitor the health status of 242 Vietnamese citizens from Singapore to be isolated in the former Millitary College from August 11th, 2020 and expected to free them on August 26th, 2020. At the same time it continues to supervise and follow the health status of citizens and public officials and employees coming back from the disease outbreak areas since July 1st, 2020 to prevent infectious cases in the province at all.
Labor & employment: In the month it provided employment consultancy to 4,794 labors and introduced new jobs to 442 labors. It also provided unemployment subsidy to 2,579 labors, increasing by 20% compared to the same period last year with the expenditure of 48.2 billion dong. After 8 months as accumulated it provided employment consultancy to 21,444 labors and introduced new jobs to 1,587 labors, increasing by 6% over the same period. From the begining time of the year until now it provided unemployment subsidy to 15,164 labors, increasing by 47% compared to the same period last year with the expenditure of 238.7 billion dong.
- Foreign affairs: In August there was not any public official or employee to be approved to go abroad for trips; and there was also not any foreign delegation to come visiting and working with government agencies due to applying measures to prevent the Covid-19 epidemic. It is to continue supporting businesses to get entry visa for foreign experts, managers to enter Vietnam, coming to the province to work.
Apart from the aforementioned results, the political security, social order and safety continued to be stable and there was not any complicated case to arise in the provincial territory; the activities of scientific research, land management, environmental protection, exploitation of natural resources, justice, inspection, administrative reform, home affairs, telecommunication,... continue to perform their work as planned in the context of continuing to fight the coronavirus pandemic as mentioned above.
Tien Giang province has just past over 8 months of the year 2020 with extreme hardship in the country and the world, particularly in the first months of the year. For the 4 remaining months of the year, with the epidemic situation to be still complex and the global supply chains to be fractured, the operation of businesses surely continues to face difficulty. Therefore, in order to be able to fulfill the goals of socio-economic development of the whole year 2020, the government of all levels, branches, people and businesses must try their best to complete all the tasks as expected./.
Translated by the Department of Foreign Affairs